Old Town Tales, Tacos, and Tequila
We’ll work up an appetite exploring Old Town and its importance to the founding of California, then enjoy a tequila beverage and tacos. Salud!
- Discover how the city’s Spanish and Mexican past is reflected in San Diego today.
- Learn about the indigenous people who lived here for thousands of years before the arrival of European settlers.
- Take a short hike up Presidio Hill to the first European settlement over 250 years ago.
- Choose from a vast selection of tequila varieties at an authentic tequileria
As the birthplace of California, Old Town San Diego has seen its fair share of history. Today, it’s also widely regarded for its restaurants, margaritas, and souvenir shops. And we’ll get to sample all on this cultural foodie tour!
We’ll start our exploration at the Adobe Chapel which served both as a home and church in the 19th century. Then you’ll be treated to handmade tortillas, a world-famous dish that dates back to before Columbus landed in North America.
We’ll continue the tour and view one of the oldest brick buildings in Southern California, best known for the ghosts who haunt it and see some wonderful examples of Victorian architecture, including San Diego’s first synagogue.
The nourishment from the tortillas will be handy as we start our brief hike to the original European settlement on the West Coast of the U.S. We’ll see the outline of some of the 18th century structures and learn about the indigenousness people who were here when the Europeans arrived.
Once back in town we’ll visit a hundred-year-old Catholic church, followed by a stroll through a landmark cemetery with graves dating back to the 1850s.
By now you might be thirsty, so we will take a brief walk to a local tequileria boasting a collection of thousands of bottles. Here you will learn about the many different types of tequilas and be treated to a taste of one of the best tequilas in the world. (This sample is included as part of your tour price, but you may instead choose a margarita, beer or another beverage of your choice).
We’ll bid adios here, but feel free to linger over another drink, or dig into some great Mexican food. Or, if you want to keep moving, you can continue shopping and exploring this great San Diego neighborhood.
- Meeting Point: In front of the Adobe Chapel, 3963 Conde St, San Diego, CA 92110.
- Start time: 10:00am, 1:00pm
- Ending Point: 2304 San Diego Ave., San Diego, CA 92110
- Inclusions: One handmade tortilla, one shot of tequila (or a margarita, beer, or soda of your choice), chips and salsa and two street tacos.
- Exclusions: Additional food and beverages, items of a personal nature, tips/gratuities for your guide.
Secrets and Highlights of Balboa Park
Considered the cultural crown jewel of San Diego, Balboa Park has a bit of everything. Your local guide will show you the highlights along with the lesser-known spots that even locals don’t know about. With its notable architecture and gorgeous gardens, this is the prettiest tour in town!
Coronado History and Highlights
Get a taste for charming Coronado, just a short ride but a world away from downtown San Diego! Stroll beautiful streets lined with cafés, and multi-million dollar homes, then dip your toes in the sandy beaches along the Pacific Ocean. Hear about the fascinating people who’ve called this island home.
Liberty Station: From Barracks to Brews
Calling all new recruits! Join a local guide and get an inside look at what it was like to join the Navy. Learn some sailor skills, explore the buildings essential to training, learn fun facts about the recruit experience, and gain an understanding of the history of the Naval Training Center. Then cap off the tour with a snack and your very own certificate of “graduation.”